Tuesday 30 October 2012

Server 2012 Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one

Installing Server 2012 Std RTM today in my lab and I came across this beauty


We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

The solution turned out to be fairly straight forward. The Windows installer package didn't have drivers for the RAID controller so I was using a USB drive to load them. For some reason if I left the USB in when starting setup, loaded the drivers and then continued the install this occurred however if I insert the key when I need to load the drivers and remove when loaded all works OK!

I found other references to fixes that lead me down the USB drive path but nothing identical. Hope this helps someone

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, this worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also solved the issue for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I knew this but forgot it and your blog just saved me a few levels of frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks..Your solution worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from the drive you are installing Windows to first. Then you won't get this error.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changing the boot order did it for me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete